April 27, 2010
Top 5 Free VST Plugins For Ableton Live (Windows Edition)
- File Under: Tutorials |
Help support Ableton Life by stuffing a few dollars in the tip jar!
There are other “Top 5 Free VST Plugin” lists out there, but this one is dedicated to electronic music production, more specifically, in Ableton Live.
Modeled after the Nord Lead 2, this synthesizer is the best free soft synth around. A perfect free alternative for someone who can’t afford some of the extra synths for Ableton Live.
- 2 Oscillators, FM modulation, ring modulation, sync, modulation envelope.
- 4 types of filters, distortion.
- 2 LFOs (synchronized with host).
- Arpeggiator (synchronized with host).
- Tempo delay (synchronized with host), stereo chorus/flanger.
- Legato mode, portamento.
- 16 notes polyphony.
- 128 presets.
- Thoroughly optimized for light CPU load using SSE instructions, etc.
Download the Synth1 here: http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/Synth1V108a.zip
Have you ever wanted to easily emulate the sound of a tape player or record player slowing down? Now you can with the uber-simple “Tapestop” plug in.
Slap it onto a single track – or your master channel – hit the stop button and listen to the sound slowly die down. Look ma, no turntable! Great for DJs.
- EP(vinyl) – EP is normal mode.
- TD (Tape deck) – TD will back up the tape a bit when it stops.
- N – normal.
- R – reverse the button.
- T – toggle.
- D – Direct return to play when mouse button is released.
- Select the DOWN speed by clicking on the LEFT mouse button in the speed box, then hold and drag.
- Select the UP speed by clicking on the RIGHT mouse button in the speed box, then hold and drag.
Download Tapestop here: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/archive/files/Tapestop_1-7.zip
One thing I really enjoy about Serato Scratch, is that there is an Automatic gain control. What this means in, if there is a song that is quieter than the one playing, the auto gain control would bump up the volume of the quieter track to match the louder one.
Until now, I haven’t seen a simple plugin that does this in Ableton Live. However, with the LoudMax plugin, you can put this on your master channel and boost the threshold so that both songs are equal in volume.
Main range of application:
- Audio Mastering.
- Output Limiter/Maximizer for web radio stations.
- One slider for threshold, one for the output level.
- Meters for input, output and gain reduction in relation to the desired threshold.
- Supported Samplerates: 2kHz – 384kHz
- Latency, Look-Ahead and Attack Time: 1.25ms
- Release Time: Automatic – depending on the input signal
- Possible Overdrive without audible distortion: 740dB
- Low CPU usage
Download LoudMax here: http://free-vsts.com/files/LoudMax-1.07.zip
Recreate some truly amazing Lesley Speaker action with this plugin. Drop it on a drum loop and let it jump back and forth through your headphones. Hours of fun.
- One-Band Rotary Chorus
- Adjustable Overdrive
- Adjustable Rotator Off/On, Slow/Fast, Speed, Depth and Spread
- Vintage Look GUI
- Low CPU consumption
Download the iSpinner here: http://www.iliadisorgan.com/freeplugins.html
5. Dubb Box
This is the best free Space Echo simulator I’ve seen. It even has separate controls for tape hiss. This plugin is perfect for getting the dubbed out loop effects that made the space echo so famous.
- Main echo and ‘second-tapehead’
- Adjustable vintageness (tape hiss, motor inertia, tape and motor age)
Download the Dubb Box here: http://www.freesoundeditor.com/downloads/vst/arcdev_dubbox.exe
Please share any of your favorite free plugins you like to use in Ableton Live below!